Competition is offered in a number of different disciplines that not only assists members with maintaining their surf skills but also provides children with a regular physical activity that incorporates fun and teamwork. Events for nippers involve swimming, board paddling, and running. Children can also participate in team events that incorporate a number of these disciplines and may also begin to learn the basics of rescue techniques, such as the board rescue event.
Williamstown Club ChampionshipsOne session of our program is allocated to our Club Championships. To be eligible for Age Level Champion the nipper must, as per the WSLSC selection policy:
- Have participated in 50% or more of the intensive nipper program.
- Be a financial member of the Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club.
- Compete in the correct age level group (i.e. cannot go up or down an age level). Awards for the Age Level Champions of all year groups are presented at our final session of the season.
Inter-Club CarnivalsNippers have an Inter Club competition calendar each season culminating in the Victorian State Titles. In the 2018-2019 Season there are 6 Inter-club Carnivals scheduled at various locations throughout Victoria. This season, the State Titles will be held in Lorne on the 23/24 February 2019 and we are aiming for a large team to represent Williamstown SLSC. In order to compete at ‘States’, nippers must compete in their age group at (the) one or more of the junior carnivals. There are two dates on the calendar which are ‘Qualifying Carnivals’ where certain events such as Board and Relays require individuals or teams to qualify to compete at the State Titles. Williamstown SLSC is committed to being inclusive, and children of all standards are welcome to take on the challenge of competing at carnivals. The only requirement is that each child can competently complete a Surf Swim in a certain time set by LSV for each age group. Clubs are able to enter any number of teams per age group in the State Titles. The club uses a selection process for all team selections based on:
- Results at Carnivals over the season including the Qualifying Carnivals.
- Club Championship results.
- Participation in competition training.